Monday, April 5, 2010

Siddhartha Gautama -- the Buddha.

I was lying on my bed in the emergency room, waiting for the verdict of the pain in my back (see previous article on kidney stones). I have studied the life of Buddha before my stroke, but hadn't had much time to consider it since. Now I think the reason for my kidney stones was really a way to get me to watch this television show.

Buddha started off life as a prince. He was tampered by his father, never being allowed to know or understand hardship. he was to be the next king. He was married at a young age and had one child. Early in his adult life he ventured out into the world, unattended by his father's guardians. He saw pain, suffering, hunger, illness -- things he had never seen before.

The Buddha left his life of luxury and ventured into the world in search of truth. He lived as a student, learning under knowledgeable figures of the age. He tried to attain lightning than by self mortification. Ultimately, he realized that we construct our own pain, and we manage our own joy.

The story is much longer, and I will not tell it all here; however suffice it to say that I read learned lessons I had forgotten. The greatest of those lessons is that I am here, alive, and there must be some purpose to my life. Whether it is to it merely experience a raindrop falling on my brow; help the number one daughter during her time of need; watch number two daughter graduate from college; or, just observe my son, his wife and their child grow up learning. There is joy to be found, happiness to be found in the simplest of things.

Unhappiness is rooted in reflecting on what we have lost or what we do not have. Happiness is rooted in rejoicing over the love of others, considering what might be yet, and will we might yet achieve.

Buddhists will tell you that the history of Buddha need not be accurate. The stories and parables from his life may be true or not. That is not the point. The point is the message. The point is the learning. Strive every day to make one other person smile, to make one other person's burden easier, to reflect on the miracle of the seedling growing into a flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment